Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enabling Lan Access
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
newbie111
Hello everyone. I am considering switching to Linux, as Windows just plain sucks. I have been working with Windows and Macs for years, but I am complete Linux newbie. Mac OS X's terminal is what got me interested in Linux, so I decided to try it out. I downloaded the SuSE Live Eval, so I could try it out. I'm currently running it on a 1.5 Ghz Pentium 4 machine, 512 RD RAM, GeForce 2, etc. Anyway, I'm really impressed with the system so far, but I can't get it to access the network. I use a broadband connection over LAN. I can't find the panel to enter ip address, subnet mask, etc. I tried the "Network and Internet" module in Control Center, but I don't see anything. Could someone help point me in the right direction. I'd appreciate it.

It's hard to evaluate an OS if you can't use the network.
camorri
For someone new to Linux, I would recommend installing Webmin. It provides a gui interface to most system configuration files. It will make a lot of the system administration easier to get started at. It gives the added flexability to use a web browser to remotely configure the machine, when required. Hope this helps.
hughesjr
I haven't used SUSE live eval ... but in a normally SUSE install, you would use YAST to configure the network ...

I would try Knoppix if you can't get the SUSE Live eval working.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.