Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mx Records & Multiple Domain
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
cagey cretin
I am stuck regarding how/whether to use MX records. I have read a lot of info over the last 30 days or so, and even with the Posfix book by Blum, I am confused.

I am trying to set up email for a number of domains on my server (I have FTP & HTTP daemons working great). I can't get a 'yes/no' (and if yes a 'clear how to'): Do I need to have an MX record when using Dynamic DNS? If so, exactly what name do I use for the MX server (they all get different names, right?)? I hope someone can help clear up my confusion.

Thank you in advance

CC
chrisw
yes you need an mx record for your email

people using use mail.domainname.com/net/org
for their email mx record

if not you can run into issues with your mail server not working properly or not receiving mail at all
hughesjr
zoneedit.com (a free service I have been using for more than 3 years) allows for an MX record ... (in case the free service you are using doesn't)

First you need to create an A record for mail.yourdomain.com with your Dynamic DNS host ... then you need to create an MX record for yourdomain.com that points to mail.yourdomain.com
cagey cretin
QUOTE (hughesjr @ Jan 29 2004, 07:06 PM)
zoneedit.com (a free service I have been using for more than 3 years) allows for an MX record ... (in case the free service you are using doesn't)

First you need to create an A record for mail.yourdomain.com with your Dynamic DNS host ... then you need to create an MX record for yourdomain.com that points to mail.yourdomain.com

Thanks HughesJR,

I have the A name setup for each place. Would the following be correct:

CODE
A Name________MX Record
site1.dyndns.org  mail.site1.dyndns.org
site2.dyndns.org  mail.site2.dyndns.org
site3.dyndns.org  mail.site3.dyndns.org
site4.dyndns.org  mail.site4.dyndns.org
site5.dyndns.org  mail.site5.dyndns.org

Also, I went to the zonedit.com site and registered, created a zone to experiment with. I don't think they allow pointing to site1.dyndns.org; they are implying the www prepending to the domain name, but my site work without the www: http://site1.dyndns.org. I am testing zoneedit out with a www.site.com that I purchased to see how that goes.

They (zoneedit) seem more comprehensive in what you can do (than dyndns.org) with your records. I had been using the dyndns.org addresses simply as shadow sites to make sure I have my servers working here before I go online here and bail out of the hosting I am paying for elsewhere. biggrin.gif

Thank you HughesJr, and have a great Super Bowl! wink.gif

Joe dba CC
hughesjr
Sort of ....

You need an "A" record for site1.dyndns.org and an "A" record for mail.site1.dyndns.org .... then an mx record for site1.dyndns.org that uses mail.site1.dyndns.org as the server name.
cagey cretin
QUOTE (hughesjr @ Jan 31 2004, 07:26 PM)
Sort of ....

You need an "A" record for site1.dyndns.org and an "A" record for mail.site1.dyndns.org .... then an mx record for site1.dyndns.org that uses mail.site1.dyndns.org as the server name.

Man, oh man oh man. Thank you for clearing tha up. I swear, I never would have figured that out from all the documents I've been trough.

Thank you.

Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.