Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Redhat 7.3 And Actiontec 56k Modem
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
saladin38
Hello, I recently installed redhat 7.3 and I'm trying to connect to the internet via earthlink. However, I've had problems in that Linux won't recognize my external modem. I've been using kppp. Of course, I can't use my winmodem which I use in my XP partition, but both modems are recognized by windows and all software is installed in windows.

I noticed that while redhat boots up everything goes fine except the line
"Bringing up interface eth0"
This stalls for a few minutes and then says "determining information for eth0 failed"
I was told that this was probably because Redhat is configured for Broadband as its primary, whereas what I want is Dial Up as primary, but I wasn't told how to change this...

I don't know if these two things are by any chance related, but if someone could help me get my modem recognized and internet up and running I would greatly appreciate it.

roger
thanks in advance
chrisw
your eth0 problem doesnt have anything to do with your modem, as to say that either or is your primary connection
the reason why your eth0 failed is that either there is no
network cable plugged into the card since it is set to dhcp, or
there is a network cable plugged to it and it cant get an ip
address assigned to it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.