Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Product Id
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
bluetick
I know this is gonna sound real crazy, but where do I find my product ID?
hughesjr
If you downloaded RH, you don't have one. If you bought RH8 from a store it is on the box, and on the CD packet.

RH 8 is no longer supported by RH ... and RedHat 9 support expires one April 20,2004.

See this page concerning what RedHat wants users to do....

If you are running a workstation to learn Linux and want to go the RedHat route ... I guess I would recommend installing FedoraCore1.
bluetick
I got it in the Linux for dummies. I have no clue about it. Don't I need that for updates?
hughesjr
You can create an account to download all current updates via:

https://rhn.redhat.com

This doesn't require a product ID ... and will allow you to update your RH8 but using your login and password.

BUT, there will be no new updates for RedHat 8.0 ... RedHat support for RH8 ended on 12/31/03.

------------------------

Before you can use your login ID and password, you will need to install new up2date and up2date-gnome packages to connect to the RedHat Network because of expired security certificates.

After download, install the packages with this command:

rpm -Uvh up2date-3.0.7.2-1.i386.rpm up2date-gnome-3.0.7.2-1.i386.rpm

If you have registered on RHN, issue this command to register your RH8 install and be able to download updates:

up2date --register

(use the user ID and password you got from RHN)
bluetick
Thank you very much. I will try this.

Shana smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.