Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lamp Guide (version 2) Help
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Jamo
I've just finished reading this and it seems pretty simple. The versions I will be using are as follows:

Apache: 2.0.48
Mysql 4.0.17
PHP: 4.3.4

I have just installed Redhat 9 with only the webserver package installed (apache 2.0.40), no SQL server or PHP scripting.

Do I have to completely remove the previous version of apache before I install my new one (as said in Lamp Guide Version 1) or should I just follow exactly what this guide says?

Other than this, do I just follow the instructions in the guide, replacing version numbers where necessary? Also, is Zend mandatory to install? This guide hasn't been updated for four years so I'm guessing that not much has changed in the way of installation of a LAMP system?
hughesjr
Many people like to compile thier own PHP, MYSQL and APACHE .... I personally don't do it that way (except on one very important production server that has to run a specific version of apache and java for an application).

Joey (the owner of this site), however, does like to compile his own Apache, PHP, and MYSQL ...

What are the positives and negatives of compiling your own:

Positives:
1. It's not going to change (and break) when you update the system.
2. You know exactly where all the directories are and what features are compiled in.
3. You can run whichever version of each product you are comfortable with (as long as they work together).

Negatives
1. You will need to recompile to fix any security issues that arise ... they will not be automatically updated.
2. You may have to compile several times to add new functionality
3. It's harder (you have to know alot more than just rpm -Uvh to compile and get apache working!)

I would not compile my own, unless there were special circumstances ... like my production webserver that must have a specific version of apache...
------------------
If you don't compile your own, you can install httpd, php and mysql from rpms .... then do the setup as outlined after the compiles. Good help here. (Zend is NOT mandatory)
chrisw
you dont have to remove the current installation of apache
you have have to be able to locate the apxs file that is used by apache
for the compilation of php

you just follow the directions for installing mysql, then install php after mysql...
Jamo
I almost have it working thanks guys. I got the the new version of apache installed and and mysql up and running. But php isnt working yet. When I try to go to a page that isnt found, i get the serevr error message and down the bottom it says apache 2.0.48/php4.3.4 but when I try to view a php page, all i see is the code. Any ideas? Ill work on it some more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.