Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stopping Kde Before It Starts
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
non$ense
I installed xserver and KDE on my debian box and when I turn the system on, it boots up right into the KDE login prompt. My problem is I have no keyboard or mouse. They're not responding. I figure I can edit some config files in the shell. My question is, how do I stop the system from booting right into KDE so that I can move around in the shell? And to push the envelope, what config files should I tinker with? XF86Config-4? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
non$ense
You'd think someone would know the answer to this, I mean in Windows you just press F8...
hughesjr
Do you use LILO or GRUB as you boot loader?

You need to boot to single user mode (also know as runlevel 1) ... and how you do that is different depending on the bootloader. I think the default is LILO ... so I'll cover that first.

LILO -
I don't use lilo, but if there is a options text block, just type the number 1 in for options and press enter.

GRUB-
highlight the kernel you want to boot to and press e to edit ... put a space and the number 1 at the end of the kernel line ... press enter ... then press b to boot.

---------------------
You can also boot with a startup CD (like knoppix or even the Debain start-up disk) and then mount your /dev/hda.

the file you want to play with is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.