Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Partitioning
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Jim
I have a 40 gig HD with RedHat installed and a Fat32 chunch set aside for moving files between windows and linux. I am taking a class that uses Solaris and now thats its free I would like to install Solaris to.
So what I want to be able to do is make some room to install it with out loosing my linux install. I could use the shared chunch but I would rather not. So is there a program that can take my extra free space out of my linux partitions and free it up to install Solaris.

Thanks for the help.
mdemore
Have you tried Partition Magic 8.0?
Jim
I want to know that its going to work before I spend 60 bucks to buy it.
mdemore
I will try a test and let you know.
hughesjr
Partition Magic 8.0 can resize Ext2, Ext3, and linux swap file systems ... it can not resize reiserfs, jfs or xfs file systems.
Jim
Is there any solution that doesn't involve me buying an 80 dollar piece of software? Perhaps something in the open source world?
hughesjr
GNU parted is supposed to resize ext3 partitions ... it doesn't work. There is no point and click software (like Partition Magic) for Linux.

This post is a guide to resizing ext3 partitions.

The only method for resizing ext3 partitions that I have found is to convert the ext3 partition to ext2 (see this post).

Then follow the steps in the first link ....
eXistenZ
Hello! I have some experience with partition magic 8.0, and believe me this software is very good. Well i must admit i never use it to partition linux partitions but i think it is good for them too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.