ctrunk514
Red Hat sent me an email stating that:

In accordance with our errata support policy, the Red Hat Linux 7.1,
7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 distributions have now reached their errata maintenance
end-of-life.

This means that we will no longer be producing security, bugfix, or
enhancement updates for these products.  Red Hat Linux 9 reaches end
of life on April 30, 2004.

If 9.0 is ending life in 2 months, when is 10 coming out?
jetblackz
I don't think RH will release anymore desktop OS. For newer versions, get fedora at http://fedora.redhat.com/
ctrunk514
Really, no more Red hat desktop OS? I find that hard to believe.

I thought that Fedora was for developers and high end users; no proven to be stable.

The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported product of Red Hat, Inc.

Dosent sound like somthing I would want to install if my business needed to rely on it.
ctrunk514
I guess its true, Redhat will no longer offer a free version of their software other then the Fedora versions. I can not imagine I will install and Fedora version since it is essentially a work in progress rather than a finished/stable product.

Red Hat is seriously selling out here. This is almost as bad as Metallica's "black" CD. It goes against everything they stood for, and what made them famous.

Sad.
hughesjr
I agree that RedHat is sort of selling out ... but there are a couple issues that they have to be concerned with.

The biggest one is profitability ... they have to be profitable for their stockholders. RedHat wants RedHat Linux to be associated with Enterprise level systems. They want IBM and HP (and other IT companies) to deploy their systems with Enterprise users (who actually pay RedHat for services). Enterprise customers want a longer stable cycle between releases with security updates and the like. Money talks and RedHat now has to listen to their investors....

But, RedHat does provide support to Fedora (programmers for Fedora Core that are employed by RedHat, and hardware, and bandwidth). Fedora updates are free and don't require an account on redhat network and you can update unlimited machines. RedHat will still use Fedora Core as R&D and give it away .... it just won't dilute their Trademark and confuse their investors and enterprise customers.

Fedora Core will not be quite as stable as RedHat Linux was or RHEL is and it won't have a long enough time between release cycles for some Enterprise customers ... but it will work for most other people.

I personally am using WhiteBox Enterprise Linux on all my machines in the Enterprise that I don't have to have a support contract for. I currently have WBEL installed on 6 machines and RHEL 3 AS on one machine ... they all work and act exactly the same!

See this thread for more info on WBEL and other Enterprise products that are free.
ctrunk514
If I was a betting man, I would bet that Red hat will regret this decision and come back to the ďfree LinuxĒ community with there tail between there knees.

Iím a prefect example of why. Iím a net admin for a semi-small company, and know a little about a lot of things. I love Linux and became familiar with Red Hat Linux because of the free downloads. I used these free OS versions to learn, test and use on my network. When we decided to use Oracle on Linux we went with Red Hat AS server and support. If it were not for my familiarity with Red Hat them we may not have gone in that direction.

What IM realizing now is that what I love about Linux is that its open source, and that means more than its free. It means that people like Whitebox Linux can come up with something similar to Red hats snap and distribute it.

Thank you very much for the info on Whitebox, Iím downloading it now. I guess I should try exploring some of the other forums before I go running off at the mouth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.