Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ntldr Missing After Format
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
makaveli4
Ok here's my problem. I have 2 hard drives in my computer- one with windows 98, the other with XP. I recently decided that to switch the one with 98 to Mandrake linux 9.2. I used partition magic 8 from windows XP to format the drive with windows 98 on it and chose linux ext3 as the format type. When I rebooted it would not load windows and gave me error: NTLDR missing press ctrl+alt+delete to restart. I tried switching the drive with xp to master and still no go. I then tried using the repair console from the windows xp cd and typed FIXBOOT and also FIXMBR and it still wouldn't work. I eventually decided to reformat the linuz drive again- this time used NTFS and I installed XP on that drive as well just so I could get into windows and get access to the other hard drive. My question is how to I get the drive with my old files to boot?
Thanks in advance
hughesjr
OK ... if you install Windows XP on a drive other than the first partition, it puts a couple files on first partition ... so those files are now missing and the OS won't boot without them. {As you have now figured out smile.gif}

Luckily, you can just copy the required files from the root directory on the new drive to the root directory on the old drive, edit the file boot.ini and point to the right partition and you are good.

This article tells you all you need to do...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.