Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installation Fails Before It Even Starts!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
DeadlyOats
I am a Linux noob.

I'm building a PC:

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe mobo,
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR,
Creative Labs' Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer,
1 Seagate Baracuda 80GB on IDE Primary 1 Master,
DVD/CD ROM drive IDE Secondary Master,
CD R RW drive IDE Secondary Slave,
2 Western Digital Raptor SATA 36.7 GB in RAID 0 array on Intel's ICH5-R RAID controller (built into mobo) connected to SATA Ports 1 and 2 (built into mobo),
Pentium 4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB CPU,
2 Corsair 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM set up on dual 400MHz channels for 800MHz FSB,

I've partitioned the Seagate into three partitions less then 1GB for drive C:, about half of the drive for drive D:, the other half is unpartition for Lunix. I've made a single partition with the 2 Raptors as a RAID 0 array.

I've installed Windows 98SE into drive D: in the IDE drive with Win98SE boot files in drive C:, and I've installed Win2KPro in the RAID 0 array with its boot files also in drive C:. I want to install SuSE Linux 8.2 in the IDE drive in the unpartitioned space (on the same drive as Win98SE and NOT on the RAID 0 array with the Win2KPro).

The system I'm building is connected to a Belkin KVM switch. My other system (non RAID) is connected to the same KVM switch and has Windows 98SE, 2KPro, and SuSE Linux 8.2 on a single Seagate HDD. This system works well and is stable, which is why I'm disinclined to think it's the Belkin KVM switch, but if you think otherwise, say so.

Here is the problem. I put the install CD in the DVD/CD ROM drive (I bought the package from SuSE and my 90 day support window ran out). I get the initial boot menu. I choose "Installation."

What happens next is this:

A dialog box opens showing a progress bar as the Linux Kernel is loaded. As soon as that is done, the monitor screen blanks out. After a little under a minute, a blue band - with tiny colored flecks in it, about an inch wide appears accross the top of my monitor screen. The rest of the screen is blank.

So, uh... What do you folks think?
DeadlyOats
I failed to mension that I tried the other boot options (boot with safe settings, manual install, etc), but I got the same results.

I hope my noob question is not out of place here. unsure.gif If it is, point me to a Linux help site where noobs are helped, thanks. sad.gif

Sincerly.
hughesjr
I don't have any experience with an ATI 9800 card ... I usually install on NVIDIA...I think that card is to new and may be causing you problems.

Try pressing F2 and selecting text mode and then pick manual as the install type.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.