Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Usb Hard Drive.
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
Devillion
Hi, im sorry to bother you guys with a n00b question but i need to access my USB 1.1 External hard drive.
My windows OS has crashed, and i NEED to get the data off of thise drive, its extremely important, so if there is a way to access the drive without damaging the data, that would be great.

Im a real n00b, this is my first time on linux, though i am well versed in DOS and other command line OS.

EDIT- If its important, im using Libranet distro and the GNOME session.
michaelk
Never have used libranet... yet. It supports USB so I will assume that everything is configured.

With the drive plugged in you should have a /dev/sda device assuming no other SCSI drives or pen drives. I will also assume that the drive is formated as FAT32

Create a mount point (log in as root)
mkdir /mnt/disk (Or whatever you want to name the directory)
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/disk

If you have more then one partition then you might want to see what they are,
fdisk -l /dev/sda (that is a small L)

If none of the above works then we will start troubleshooting. We will leave that to another post.
Devillion
Yes!

Thank you, that made it work. There were some important work files that i needed to get off that drive and now i can. Thanks.

The only other thing is, how can i make this drive so that other accounts can write to it? Currently the 'root' account can use the drive (read/write) but user acounts can not write to the drive. How can i change permission?

But thank you very much.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
hughesjr
try:

mount -t vfat -o umask=0777 /dev/sda1 /mnt/disk

or

mount -t vfat -o umask=777 /dev/sda1 /mnt/disk
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.