Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Can't Suse8.2 Connect To Network?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
tprice
When installing 8.2 at first it worked like magic and connected during installation to download updates. Then the connection died. Verbose bootup shows failure to connect to DHCP. I've tried four different NICs, disconnect a computer that connects and used that ethernet cable and still same problem.

All NICs are recognized and install as eth0 and I configured with DHCP. On installation, an attempt to connect to suse produces the following:

linux kernel eth0: Identified 8139 Chip type RTL-8139C
linux kernel eth0: Setting half duplex based on auto-negotiated 0000
linuxinsmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf.local is more recent than /lib/modules/2.3.204 GB-Athlon/modules.dep
linus/ect/hotplug/net.agent [1408] No HW description found .. exiting

Where do I go from here??
hughesjr
If you are able to get logged in and to the desktop, run YAST and select Network Devices and then network card to configure...
tprice
Yup, done that. Funny thing is that if I load RedHat 8.0 it all works fine but I'd like to run Suse.
azepromidi3000
your network drivers for Suse maybe not working with your network card you may need to work out the source and fix the problem manual.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.