Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandrake 9.2 Issues
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
EliteX
I've just installed Mandrake Linux 9.2, and when I play an mp3 file, it gives out choppy sound, like a skipping CD. Also, I need to know how to install themes, and TCL. AMSN won't run, and the website says to install TCL. I have no idea what that even is, so if someone could help me with it, I'd appreciate it. Another thing, it doesn't like my LG 4x4x32x burner, any fixes for that? Thanks.
hughesjr
Make sure that DMA is enabled for your cdrom ...

do the command:

hdparm -i /dev/hdc

(substitute the correct device if your cdrom is not /dev/hdc) {/dev/hdc is secondary master, /dev/hdd is secondary slave, /dev/hdb is primary slave, /dev/hda is primary master}.

My results looks like this:
CODE
hdparm -i /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:

Model=CD-RW 40X12, FwRev=V.HW, SerialNo=
Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
(maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:227,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
AdvancedPM=no

* signifies the current active mode
EliteX
Ok, I decided to take the burner out, and replace it with a 56X cdrom. Now, how do I get the CDROM icon back on the desktop? Linux doesn't even seem like it sees this new cdrom. I tried installing new stuff from the Mandrake CDs, and it kept saying to insert the CD, although I already had it in the drive. So, its obviously not reading from the cdrom.
Also, if someone could help me with my sound/mp3 problem? I have a OPTi Audio 16 ISA sound card. And I try to play the mp3s through Totem Media Player, and its like a skipping CD. I used sndconfig to set up the sound card. Linux is a real pain in the ass! Anyway, I typed that command you told me, but for the new cdrom:

/dev/hdc:

Model=56X CD-ROM, FwRev=VER 6.94, SerialNo=
Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
(maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:227,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:150}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
AdvancedPM=no

* signifies the current active mode
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.