10 gb harddrive
4 1.1 usb
8mb vidreo card
52 speed cd rom
10/100 lan network card
creative labs 128 sound card
please

sad.gif

because of this box i can also update the mother and cpu because my box is at atx box but i don't wish to because this box has been my favour box to play in!!!!! please can you help me sad.gif
hughesjr
That meets the minumum requirements for RH 8/9 and mandrake 9, 9.1, 9.2.

It will be slow, it would be better if you could bump up the RAM...

I am running a 192mb pII 333 laptop and it is OK ... with 128mb it was much slower.
azepromidi3000
thank your Sir for that biggrin.gif

just other question how much hard drive does these os take full installing with network drives, sound card and videro card drivers is 10 gb going to be find or more hard drive needed!!!
hughesjr
A full install (everything) with RH or Mandrake is about 5gb ... a normal install is more like 2.5-3 gb, so 10 gb should be good for most purposes.
azepromidi3000
thanks for that hughesjr biggrin.gif
mno
Some more recommendations: I would not suggest running any GUI off of that configuration. I have a Celeron 733Mhz with 512MB RAM and X takes for ever to start. Let alone do anything once it's started. I use RedHat 7.3 and I specifically didn't install X at all. I'm just regretting that I installed 7.3 instead of 9, but that's details...

Regarding the Mandrake / RedHat choice: Mandrake is more for newer users. However, as soon as you get more familiar, it's a pain to install any good packages since it comes with nothing (at least 7.1 did, when I first tried it a while ago). You will need to install 80% of the modules the package you want to install depends on for the first little while. RedHat is a lot better in this case, although it's not very new-user friendly. However, after 5 installs of Linux, I got the hang of it and even got Apache, PHP, MySQL to work (all built, not installed via RPMs) and I'm currently using the system as a testing server. Well, I will, once I get the stupid network card to work again. A word of warning: don't do any security patching of sorts if you're just going to play around with it or not do any serious work or be always connected to the Net with it. For me, patching messed up some part of the original install 60% of the time, including the current 2.4.20 patch that messed up my eth0 config mad.gif
hughesjr
Patching is extremely important IF your machine is behind a firewall, but you have incoming ports forwarded to the machine ... (like incoming http, mail, ssh, ftp etc.).

Patching is absolutely critical if you are using a linux box as a firewall (or if it is touching the internet and not behind another firewall) ... or your box will be hacked into and 0wned...as in:

0wned - A computing facility that has been entirely compromised, usually in terms of integrity, due to hacking activities.
----------------------------------------
If you are running unpatched Linux boxes that allow incoming taffic, please do your self (and us) a favor and download and install chkrootkit.

Here is just one of the latest incidents .... and here is an outstanding article (older...from 2001, but still relavant) on hacked linux machines.

Not to mention that Debian and Gentoo were just compromised...and the GNU Project was compromised in August.

From the Honeynet Project:
Data from the Honeynet Project suggests that almost 80 percent of all un-patched servers wouldn't last more than three weeks before being compromised by Internet attackers.

Check out these stats...

Not patching your linux system, if it allows incoming traffic, is a timebomb waiting to happen....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.