Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cpu Fan W/ Variable Speedcontrol Defaults To Low
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
mrbardman
I am cooling my cpu with the Thermaltake Volcano 9, and it is set up with a tempsensor under the cpu. This should drive the fan speed according to cpu-temp. It works normally in WindowsXP. When I boot into Linux, the fan goes to the lowest rpm-setting and stays there. I thought this setup was controlled by bios (ASUS A7N8X/AMD2500+) but it seems like Linux takes control somehow.

How can I get the variable fan to work correctly? Nothing found on Thermaltakes website. I know I could always hardwire the fan to full blast but that is noisy, and inconvenient as I also boot into Windows regularly.

Thnks.
hughesjr
I looked at the information on the website ... the best that I can tell, this product doesn't interact with the OS or the BIOS at all. It has it's own temperature sensor that controls the fan speed by adjusting the fan voltage directly. The hookup to the motherboard is for power only.

I would think (by looking the info) that it would work the same on Win98, DOS, XP, Linux, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.