Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ethernet Problem
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ericeric
Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm on a college LAN with a 3com ethernet card with windows 2000 and redhat 7.3 installed. I was able to connect and use ftp, internet, etc. at my old office. But when I moved to my new office and got a new IP address, the windows ethernet connection was fine, but the redhat connection was extremely slow. I used the KDE network application and removed and reinstalled the ethernet card and now nothing works. When I bootup, I see the message

ec501 device does not seem to be present. delaying initialization.

If this is a stupid newbie question, please at least tell me where I should go for help. Thanks. Eric.
hughesjr
RedHat 7.3 has a program called kudzu that detects hardware on startup...it might not work very well in RH 7.3 though.

Anyway, remove the network card (via the software ... leave the actual card installed in the system) and reboot and see if kudzu finds it ... if it does, it should install the driver.

If that doesn't work, and if it is a PCI network card, run the command:

lspci

and post the results for the network card here.
ericeric
Thanks for your help. I removed the network card via software, but it didn't work. During bootup, it says

starting lpd: get local_host_name: hostname 'localhost' bad

Ispci wasn't recognized, so I typed 'cat /proc/pci' . Here's the portion that mentions PCI

PCI devices found:
Bus 0, device 9, function 2:
USB Controller: PCI device 1106:3104 (VIA Technologies, Inc.) (rev 81).
IRQ 10.
Master Capable. Latency=32.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd5800000 [0xd58000ff].
Bus 0, device 15, function 0:
Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX [Fast Etherlink] (rev 120).
IRQ 5.
Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=10.Max Lat=10.
I/O at 0xb800 [0xb87f].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd5000000 [0xd500007f].
Bus 0, device 17, function 0:
ISA bridge: PCI device 1106:3147 (VIA Technologies, Inc.) (rev 0).
ericeric
The problem was that redhat automatically selected the wrong card. Strange, I remember trying every selection, but it's fixed now. Thanks.
hughesjr
I was going to say that I didn't think ec501 went with the 3c905C card...glad you got it working biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.