QUOTE (frodo44 @ Dec 5 2003, 12:15 AM)
...one suggestion for your X page... put on instructions for scroll mice... seems like I and other people are always trying to figure out how to do that...

First, if your OS has a mouse selection tool, usually selecting Generic Wheel Mouse works.

Second, SUSE does not allow you to make changes to the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file except through SAX2 and other GUI setup tools.

-------------------------------------------
If you are still having scroll mouse problems, try this:

1. Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. (If you don't have a XF86Config-4 file, then edit the XF86Config file instead ... the information is the same).

2. Find the section(s) labeled Section "InputDevice" ... You should have at least 2 InputDevice sections (mouse and keyboard). You may have more than 2. We will be dealing with the mouse InputDevice section(s) in this example. My Debian mouse input device section looks like this (we'll use it as an example):

CODE
Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
       Driver          "mouse"
       Option          "CorePointer"
       Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
       Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
#    Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
       Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection

3. The key to making the scroll wheel work is:

Set the "Protocol" option to "ImPS/2" and set the "ZAxisMapping" option to "4 5". I also removed the "Emulate3Buttons" option (by placing a # in front of it) because the wheel on my mouse is the third button.