Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Viewing Nfts Files In Linux
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Skawaii
i'm sure that this question has already been asked and entered, but i still need help with it.

i have 2 hard drives. one has windows xp pro and the other redhart linux 9.0.

i am very new to linux and would like to know how to configure linux so that i can see the files on the NFTS drive. i don't even know where to start, so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
frodo44
NTFS support is still in the 'diamond in the rough' stages as it is. Very rough. In order to be able to view NTFS partitions, you're most likely going to have to recompile your kernel, which can be quite a job... I don't really feel comfortable doing it and I've been using linux for about two years now. But, since you're running redhat, you might be able to download a kernel rpm with ntfs support built into it. But you should know that as for the present, you can only read files on NTFS partitions. There are *very* experimental kernel options out there to write, but it is considered volatile and only suitable for testing (I think... one of the forum admins would be the one's to know a whole lot about this). Anyway, take a look around Redhat's site or a third party rpm distributor to find a ntfs supporting kernel. Hope I helped

Regards,
Eric
hughesjr
RedHat doesn't turn on the ability to read NTFS partitions in it's kernel.

You can recompile your kernel to turn on NTFS read support.

If you update your redhat install (I highly recommend that you do...) you can download the lastest rh9 rpm files you need below. If you don't have the latest kernel (2.4.20-24.9) I recommend you get it via up2date.

The links I provided are for the latest Kernel-Source (right now 2.4.20-24.9). To see if you already have the required rpm's installed to recompile your kernel:

rpm -q gcc gcc-c++ make kernel-source

If the results look like this:

gcc-3.2.2-5
gcc-c++-3.2.2-5
make-3.79.1-17
kernel-source-2.4.20-24.9

Then you don't need to install/update any packages ... if anything is missing (or a lower version), you can download the rpms below (save them in a seperate directory):

gcc (here)
gcc-c++ (here)
make (here)
kernel-source (here)

now install them like this (only download and put the filenames for rpm's that are not already installed):

rpm -Uvh gcc-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm gcc-c++-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm make-3.79.1-17.i386.rpm kernel-source-2.4.20-24.9.i386.rpm

(the above command is all one line)
-------------------------
Now you are ready to try and recompile the kernel....do the following steps (each step requires the one before it, so if step one end with you in the /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-24.9 directory ... step 2 begins with you in that directory...):
------------------------
1. Clean the kernel from previous install/compile attempts:
cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-24.9[b]
[b]make mrproper

2. Copy the file /boot/config-2.4.20-24.9 to the linux-2.4.20-24.9 directory (it is the current configuration):
cp /boot/config-2.4.20-24.9 .config
[b]make oldconfig

3. Configure the kernel so that it will read an NTFS file system ... DO NOT TURN ON NTFS WRITE ... it will screw up your XP partition (you have been warned laugh.gif ):
make menuconfig

(move around inside the menu with arrows, use the spacebar or enter to go into sub menus and select items)

You specifically want to go to:

File systems --->

and then move to (with the arrow keys):

< > NTFS file system support (read only)

and press the space bar until it says:

<M> NTFS file system support (read only)

4. Make all dependancies:
make dep

5. Make the kernel image:
make bzImage

6. Make the modules
make modules

7. Install the modules
make modules_install

8. Figure out your new Kernel's name
The new kernel will need to be named 2.4.20-24.9 or 2.4.20-24.9custom ... to find out which one, issue the following command:

ls -al /lib/modules

If you see 2.4.20-24.9 and 2.4.20-24.9custom we will use 2.4.20-24.9custom; otherwise we will use 2.4.20-24.9. Make sure the date is correct on the directory.

9. Copy the bzImage to the /boot directory:

cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-24.9/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-24.9custom

OR

cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-24.9/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-24.9

(depending on which name we picked in step 8)

10. Copy the current initrd to a new initrd

ls /boot/init*

pick the closest version and copy it to match the vmlinuz- name we used

in my case it was

cp /boot/initrd-2.4.20-24.9.img /boot/initrd-2.4.20-24.9custom.img

11. Edit the file /boot/grub/grub.conf and add the new kernel as a selection

gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf

You will see a scetion that looks similar to this:
CODE
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-24.9)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-24.9 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-24.9.img

Copy that whole section, paste it under the firest section and edit it to your new kernel and initrd names ... mine now looks like this:
CODE
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-24.9)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-24.9 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-24.9.img

title Red Hat Linux (NTFS)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-24.9custom ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-24.9custom.img

Save the file.

12. Reboot and select your new kernel ... if it boots you should be able to mount NTFS partitions.
Joey
Or you can just install the RPMs - details at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
hughesjr
Specifically, the rpm's are here:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/index.html

I havn't used them ... I don't know how well they work.

(Thanks Joey ... that will be just a tad bit easier wink.gif )
Joey
They work great, I used to use them when I dual booted. The only problem is if RedHat releases a new kernel RPM it normally takes the guys at linux ntfs a few days to release updated RPM packages. Not really a big deal though.
Skawaii
just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the info. it really helped me out. i was able to install the new rpm and mount my ntfs drive. thanks again.
Joey
You're very welcome, glad we could help smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.