Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broadband Compatibility
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
nappy501
I have been thinking about going broadband for most of this year. I am also looking at going over to Linux in February next year.

A friend has told me about an ace broadband deal, and I can see no reason not to go for it. The problem is it has an initial 12 month contract and I don't know if it work with Linux. I have visited the site it doesn't say how long the offer is on for, so I have to make a dicesion soon, but don't have all the information. Any help gratefully received.

It has to run through a BT line, which is the normal telephone line, is that what is called a cable modem? As we also have cable companies and I don't know if the help pages are referring to them or not?

Will I just have to find the right modem or will it be to do with software?
You get a free modem in the deal, I am prepared to change it when I change over to Linux.

Some really easy pointers would help, thank you.
garskoci
You shouldn't have a problem. As far as Linux is concerned, it's an ethernet network connection. A new modem shouldn't be needed. If anything, maybe a router.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.