Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /mnt/cdrom
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
fobius
Hi,

I seem to have a problem with my cdrom drive. It was working before but now when I try to access /mnt/cdrom, it keeps telling me that I have a input/output error.

Any ideas?

thanks
chrisw
do you know if the cd you are trying to read is good?
or does the happen with all cd's you try to use?
hughesjr
Also ... you don't mount Audio/Video CDs for use ... only data CDs. I only bring this up because you didn't specify wether you were mount a data cd or not.

The command:

ls -al /dev | grep cdrom

Should give you a result similar to this (with no hdx=ide-scsi in your bootloader ... x is a,b,c or d if you use ide):

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root          11 2003-11-14 12:43 cdrom -> /dev/hdx
brw-rw----    1 root    disk      22,  0 Jan 30  2003 hdx

or this (with hdx=ide-scsi in your bootloader or debian's 2.4.22 kernel):

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root          11 2003-11-14 12:43 cdrom -> /dev/cdrom0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root            9 2003-11-14 12:43 cdrom0 -> /dev/scd0
brw-rw----    1 root    cdrom    11,  0 2002-03-14 15:54 scd0

If you have recently changed the cdrom from primary to slave or added a hard drive the link may be pointing to the wrong drive.
fobius
hmm..I didn't know you couldn't use audio or video cd's. i tried the command you gave me and it gave me something simliar to what you posted. i'll try a data cd and see if there's difference.
hughesjr
You can USE audio and video CD's in CDROM/DVD drives ... you JUST don't have to (and in fact you CAN'T) mount them in order to play them with programs like XMMS, Mplayer, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.