Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Linux Distro To Start Out With ?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
linuxnewb
Im a new linux user trying to expand my knowledge of the many OS's out in the world. Im coming from Windows XP Professional which I will still run. I have a seperate HD dedicated to linux. I need to know what the best or most friendly version that I could start out with. I have Red Hat 9 right now and I'm quickly being deterred from using it since Ive had so many problems with just trying to install drivers. I have seen from a post made by duende that SuSe might be the easiest switch into linux from a windows platform. smile.gif
hughesjr
RedHat 9.0 / Fedora Core 1 or Mandrake 9.2 are probably the easiest installs to do. The SUSE install is not downloadable as an ISO.

I think that the 2.4.22 Kernel might have the nforce drivers already as part of the Kernel modules...

If so, then Fedora Core 1 or Mandrake 9.2 should have support ... but RedHat 9.0 is one of the easiest distro's to use as well... so I would recommend you stick with RH9.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.