Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Java Crashing Mozilla 1.4.1
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
coyote399
im using fedora 1, and mozilla 1.4.1 with "Java™ Plug-in 1.4.2_01-b06" installed. whenever i view a site with a java applet, mozilla immeadiately crashes.

can someone help me fix this?
hughesjr
First thing to check ... did you do a link from the mozilla plugins directory to the java directory instead of copying the plugin from the java directory to the mozilla plugin directory? (it must be a link and not a copied file, because there are other items in the Java directory that get used).

You also need to make sure you are using a gcc 3.2 (or 3.3) compiled version of jre vice a 2.95 compiled version....You can get j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin from a blackdown mirror:

ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/JDK-1.4.1/i386/01

or

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lan...K-1.4.1/i386/01

After I downloaded the file j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin, I changed it's permissions to 755 and executed it (as root from within the download directory):

chmod 755 j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin
sh j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin

After it unpacks (keep pressing space until you can type yes), I copied the it's directory to /usr/local/ and created a link named /usr/local/java to the new directory...

cp -R j2re1.4.1 /usr/local/
cd /usr/local
ln -s j2re1.4.1 java

Then I created a link from the plugin to the mozilla plugin directory...

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1/plugins/
ln -s /usr/local/java/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so .

And I am working great....
coyote399
Thank you for your very informative reply.

I had just copied the file instead of making a link, it works just fine now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.