Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Redhat 9 Boot Configuration
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
blahJake
i'm running Redhat 9 on my laptop, but i have trouble with one of the drivers and have to kill it's process in order to boot. i'm assuming there must be a file somewhere that lists all the drivers loaded during boot-up. can anyone tell me which file it is and if there's anything tricky about editing it (bizarre format or something along those lines)? i just want to disable a single driver from loading during the boot process.
hughesjr
Drivers (normally in the form of Kernel modules) are loaded in RedHat in 2 ways (manually by adding them to /etc/modules.conf and automatically by kudzu adding them to modules.conf), but...normally a module loading doesn't hang the machine (it is possible though).

Are you sure it's not a daemon(program) starting instead?

When it happens, what is the line of text showing just before ... the line of text showing when it hangs ... and the line of text that prints to the screen when just after you continue....
blahJake
it's initializing the IEEE when it hangs, i'll have to double check what the line right before it is and get back to you with that. it hangs entirely though if i let the initalizing IEEE message show, no more messages, not even the kill process command or ctrl-alt-del work. in order to boot i have to kill the process right when i know it's about to display the initializing IEEE message, or i can boot to the command line in rescue mode. thanks for your help and i'll post the line previous to the IEEE one soon.
blahJake
alright, after loading the mouse and usb and some other stuff, here are the next 11 lines before it hangs:
--begin--
Checking root filesystem
/: clean 107443/1168128 files, 527346/2335449 blocks
[ OK ]
Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode: [ OK ]
Activating swap partitions: [ OK ]
Finding module dependencies: [ OK ]
Checking filesystems
/boot: recovering journal
/boot: clean, 31/26208 files, 12468/104422 blocks
[ OK ]
Mounting local filesystems: [ OK ]
Enabling local filesystem quotas: [ OK ]
Enabling swap space: [ OK ]
Initializing firewire controller (ohci1394): _
--end--
at this point it is frozen, the cursor is where i've placed an underscore at the end.
hughesjr
ok,

go to the file /etc/modules.conf and see if there are any lines in there that contain:

ohci1394

and if there are, put a # in front of them....

I'll look at the RH9 startup script in a little while and see if something else also needs to be done. (I don't have a RH9 machine at my present location...)
hughesjr
Ok,

I have looked in the file /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

In my file, here is the section that is causing you problems....(my file might be slightly different than yours, I have all the latest RH 9.0 updates, but the code should be very similar). The line number where my section starts is 684 and it ends at 693.

CODE
# Ooh, firewire too.
if ! LC_ALL=C grep -iq "nofirewire" /proc/cmdline 2>/dev/null; then
  aliases=`/sbin/modprobe -c | awk '/^alias ieee1394-controller/ { print $3 }'`
  if [ -n "$aliases" -a "$aliases" != "off" ]; then
     for alias in $aliases; do
       [ "$alias" != "off" ] && action $"Initializing firewire controller ($alias): " modprobe $alias
     done
     LC_ALL=C grep -q "SBP2" /proc/bus/ieee1394/devices 2>/dev/null && modprobe sbp2 >/dev/null 2>&1
  fi
fi

What you want to do is put a # in front of each line so that it looks like this:

CODE
# Ooh, firewire too.
#if ! LC_ALL=C grep -iq "nofirewire" /proc/cmdline 2>/dev/null; then
#  aliases=`/sbin/modprobe -c | awk '/^alias ieee1394-controller/ { print $3 }'`
#  if [ -n "$aliases" -a "$aliases" != "off" ]; then
#      for alias in $aliases; do
#        [ "$alias" != "off" ] && action $"Initializing firewire controller ($alias): " modprobe $alias
#      done
#      LC_ALL=C grep -q "SBP2" /proc/bus/ieee1394/devices 2>/dev/null && modprobe sbp2 >/dev/null 2>&1
#   fi
#fi

Save the file and reboot, you should be OK ... but you won't be able to use firewire devices...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.