Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux Newbie
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
steveajones45
Hello,

I have installed Red Hat 9.0 onto my laptop. However I am having a problem with the boot sequence. My Internet connection is through a PCMCIA card, to a router. When Linux boots it tries to load the network configuratin before the PCMCIA card has been installed, so the network config fails.

Is there any way that I can make the system load the PCMCIA card before the network configs tries to load. At the mement once my system has booted I have to go into services and restart the network card.

Thanks
hughesjr
RedHat normally just shows and error and delays the startup of the network card until after the PCMCIA is started.

I would just to the /etc/rc.d/rc5.d (and after that to /etc/init.d/rc3.d) and create a S link back to the network after the PCMCIA is loaded ..

right now my network is S10network ... I don't have pcmcia ... but let's assume it is S15pcmcia ... pick a number that is 1 higher than the pcmcia link (in our case 16) and do this (from inside the /etc/rc.d/rc5.d directory).

ln -s ../init.d/network S16network

then cd to /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and do the exact same command. (In both places you must be root).

reboot and see if it works!

There may be something between S10 and S16 that need the lo (loopback) interface up ... so try deleting S10network ... reboot again ... if everything is OK, then you can keep S10network removed .. if something is not working, put it back like this:

ln -s ../init.d/network S10network

and keep both start network scripts...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.