Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative Boot Methods For Install
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
frodo44
Hey, I was wondering, for Slackware setup (althoug I assume it would be the same for any *nix), if there is a way to load other than floppies or CD's. The reason I'm asking this is because I can't get the CD to burn correctly, and the floppies are excrutiatingly slow. Plus its kind of fun to work around the standard methods. If anyone has any ideas, it would help. Thanks,
Eric

Oh yeah. Another thing is I can't find enough floppies that I know I can format without someone raising their hair...
Corey
Different distributions have different installation methods that can be used. Debian can allow you to make 2 or 3 floppies, and install the entire system from ftp. SuSE also has a boot cd that can install everything via. ftp. I few months ago, I was going to try Slackware, but only if it had an ftp install, aparently, it did not. The only other method other the CD and floppies that I could find was NFS, I could be wrong tho.

My suggestion? Try debian smile.gif
frodo44
Thanks for the info duende.... I guess I could break down and make a couple boot floppies. I've actually thought about trying debian before. I think what turned me off for it was that it had something like 3 or 4 CD's to download, which seems a bit much. But heck, I shouldn't be complaining, I have cable internet, but it still takes several hours... Anyway, I'm rambling now so I'll shut up.
hughesjr
You can install debian by downloading cd1 only....

make sure you install the bf24 kernel...

The install instructions at the debian site are great, follow them step by step and you won't have a problem.

After woody is installed, I would then upgrade to Sarge (just follow these instructions).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.