Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Samba Network Logon
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ishcoleobo
I have a small network running on linux, and what I do now works well, but in a larger situation would probably not work too well. The way I have it set up is, when the person logs on from THEIR computer with THEIR username, they can access their server files. How would I go about setting both the linux and windows boxes so that the windows box would have to logon to the linux server before being able to turn on. As of now, all home directories are seen in network neighborhood of windows, which i do not like. I know I would have to set up the windows boxes to network logon, but how will they know where the server is? Also, how will samba know who is coming in? I think it has something to do with setting up a domain on the server, but I am not sure of how to go about this or where to start. Please give me a hand, it is not a hurry, it is just my mind wanting to expand.

Thank you!!!
Russell
hughesjr
What version(s) of windows are your workstation machines running?

What you can do (if the machines are Windows NT, 2000, XP) is make the Linux machine a Windows NT type Primary Domain Controller (PDC) (if you don't already have a PDC).

The first step is to setup the linux server as a PDC...Here, Here, and Here are instructions on making a windows domain with samba.

After the domain is established, you join your windows machines to it...how depends on the version of windows you are running on each workstation...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.