Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting Kde As The X Default
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
frodo44
Hey, I just installed slackware 9.1 and during the process I think I forgot to install KDE. After I started it up I installed KDE manually but now I don't know how to make X start it. Right now it's set on some wierd uncommon one (xcfe or xfce? I'm not sure, but that's what I set it to in the startup because it was top of the list). I'm sure it's probably in one of the x startup files, but I don't know where to start, and wouldn't know what to put in once I found it. If someone knows how to fix this, it would help a lot because xcfe doesn't manage to start up before it crashes, so I have to get on the internet through windows sad.gif .

Thanks,
Eric
Joey
I think you have to add 'startkde' to your .xinitrc or .Xclients file.
frodo44
Thanks... that was what I needed. For all you *slack*ers out there, the distro actually comes with a file already setup for KDE loading... you just have to change the symlink. For instance, in my /etc/X11/xinit dir I had :
xinitrc - a symlink to the current window manager
xinitrc.kde - a file containing the needed info to load KDE
xinitrc.*foo* - a file containing the needed info to lad *foo*
Hope I helped a few people out there who were bewildered like I was...

Regards,
Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.