Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandrake Or Redhat?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Madaray
I just want to know the big differenses between redhat and mandrake?
Since i am a newbie.. and really want to learn Linux from scratch with an easy and a nice looking interface.. wich one should i use?
i have run redhat 6 earlier but only for a short time. so i have seen it before..
i just want the easiest to install and something that looks good (so i dont get bored and quit)
hughesjr
Either RedHat or Mandrake will work to teach you Linux. I personally like RedHat better, but with the move by RedHat to use Fedora for their free software and their shift to an enterprise only offering, Mandrake might be the better option.

I think I would still recommend RedHat with Gnome as the GUI ... and if you wait until Monday, you should be able to Fedora Cambridge (RedHat Severn). It has Gnome 2.4, KDE 3.1.4, XFree86 4.3.0, Mozilla 1.4 and OpenOffice 1.1.

Mandrake 9.2 is also just out and a good bet.
Corey
For a new user, I would suggest Mandrake out of those two. Redhat seems to be lacking things in the past couple of releases. Even being an experienced linux user, I found Redhat sometimes hard to navigate, and found myself often doing tasks in console because it was easier.

IMHO, Redhat hasn't put out a good release since v6.2.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.