Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing .bin Files
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
toprelaxer
This may sound silly, but I am new to linux. I have downloaded and installed Mandrake Linux 9.0. I got through the installation with no problem. I have now downloaded some programs for linux. (ie.. staroffice, limewire, ect..) These programs come in a xxx.bin file. When I double click on them they open in a text editor. I believe that I have to compile the code, but I don't know what program to use in linux. I tried to find a c++ linux program on the web and have been unable to locate one. I am running the gome interface. Please help if you can.

Thanks
Corey
This is not really a silly question, this had me confused at first too. It really is quite simple though. Open up your favorite terminal (either xterm, eterm, konsole or console) and change to the directory. Most times you would want to su as root in order to insatll a *.bin, but for some software, it's not nessesary. First, you need to make the *.bin file executable by issuing the command "chmod +x foo.bin" then run the binary file with the command "./foo.bin" or "sh foo.bin". This should execute the binary and move ahead to the installation.
toprelaxer
Thanks!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.