Full Version: Me Stupid?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Zell
Ok i know i sound stupid, but...

Firstly many Linux games ask me to write
make, or
./configure
make

Is this something overly complicated stuff or not?

Second, sound don't work in xmms or cd-players, but it does work with system sounds & Chromium B.S.U.. Strange when I switched to KDE, Uplink won't start with sound..

Thirdly, how do i install
http://www.self-core.org/~kaoru-k/wiki/SpcXmms.html
or does anybody know a better SPC player?

Oh, and which Linux should I use? I play a lot of games.
Corey
[quote]
Firstly many Linux games ask me to write
make, or
./configure
make

Is this something overly complicated stuff or not?
[/quote]

No, it's not complicated. A lot of linux software is released in source code format, those commands are used to compile and install the software. First, the configure script checks your system to ensure you have all the files and tools nessesary to build the source code, then it creates a MAKEFILE. "make" builds the software using the MAKEFILE from the previous step. "make install" installs the software to your system using what's in the MAKEFILE.

[quote]
Second, sound don't work in xmms or cd-players, but it does work with system sounds & Chromium B.S.U.. Strange when I switched to KDE, Uplink won't start with sound..
[/quote]

This is most likely due to the sound server artsd running in the background. In linux, only one application can send data to your sound device at one time. Running a sound server allows for multiple programs to use the sound device at once. The problem with this is that sometimes programs aren't compatiple or are not configured correctly to use the sound device. You may need to download some sort of xmms+artsd plugin, but my suggestion is that if you only want one program to access sound at a time, then kill your sound server. This can be done by going into the Kcontrol control panel, going to Sound and Multimedia, and going to sound server, and uncheck the box that says "Start sound server on KDE startup".

[quote]
Oh, and which Linux should I use? I play a lot of games.
[/quote]

When it comes to gaming, the majority of linux distributions are pretty equal. The only one that may stand out of the rest is the Mandrake Linux Gaming Edition. This was release probably a year and a half ago, and it includes a bunch of games on it (even The Sims if i remember correctly). The problem though is that this version of Mandrake costs money (and rightfully so). Other then that, I've had the best gaming experience using Gentoo linux.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.