Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Domain
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
labdog
I am runnning Red Hat 7.1 as a client on a desktop. I want to add the client on the my current domain. what are the commands to verify this that I have successfully done this. Also, my linux web browser is not connecting to the internet. The drivers are load for my NIC and my DNS is working. Help please!
Joey
Please clarify what you mean by "on my domain".

As for the dns issue, check your /etc/resolv.conf file and make sure you have your ISP's dns servers listed.
labdog
my domain mean my computer network. I will check the /etc/resolv.conf for DNS server
hughesjr
ohmy.gif First...If this is on an x86 machine, I would recommend that you use at least RedHat 7.3 instead of 7.1. Redhat no longer supports (or does security updates for) anything older than 7.3 (on x86) ... and the 7.3 support will stop in January 2004, so probably RedHat 8.0 is better still. When in a network environment, keeping your security patches updated using up2date (or some other method) is critical to preventing security disasters. Especially when installing network sharing items like samba or NFS. It is exceedingly easy to break into a redhat 7.1 machine with no security patches installed ... I would only use RH7.1 if I had an application that I couldn't get to work with a newer version of RedHat... OK, you have been warned ohmy.gif

It depends on what you want to do with the Linux machine ... and what type of Domain you are talking about.

There are basicly 3 type of Windows networking groups ...
1. A windows Workgroup (also known as a Win 95/98/ME domain),
2. A windows NT4 Domain (with a Windows NT 4.0 type Primary Domain Controller...can use either Linux, WinNT4, Win2000 Server or Win2003 Server as the PDC for this type of Domain),
3. A windows Active Directory Services domain (Also known as an ADS domain). The domain controller for this type of Domain must be Win2000 server or Win2003 server with ADS installed (Also requires DNS).

With either of these domain types, you use samba to connect. If you only want to use the client to print to Windows mapped printers or read and write to network shares, you can use smbd/nmbd. You will need to install the following programs:

samba
samba-client
samba-common

(The latest version of samba for redhat 7.1 ...as of today) is samba-2.0.10-5.7.1.i386.rpm, samba-client-2.0.10-5.7.1.i386.rpm, samba-common-2.0.10-5.7.1.i386.rpm, samba-swat-2.0.10-5.7.1.i386.rpm ... you can get them here). You can download updated files for other versions of RH here.

The version of samba for RH7.1 (version 2.0.10) is not nearly as stable or secure as the versions for RH7.3, 8.0, or 9.0 (version 2.2.7). Samba 3.0 is out, but not yet released by redhat for their products. Here is another "use the latest redhat version your hardware supports" plug...

Now, you will need to setup the file /etc/samba/smb.conf.

Here are instructions. Here is another good set of instructions. The main samba documentation is here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.