Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing A Network Card Driver
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
roxyboby
gagpram@yahoo.com
Hi! all. I am pretty new to linux and am struggling to start somewhere. I am using suse linux 7.2. I have managed to install it and now do not know how to install the network card driver. Yast does not detect the card automatically and the driver cd has some strange files with the .o extension . Please help..
Corey
The file with the .o extension is the module needed for your network card. First off, please let us know what kind of network card you have? As well, what is the name of the file with the .o extension, perhaps this is already included in your system.
roxyboby
Hi! and thanks for replying to my s.o.s. The Network card I have is a National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815 10/100 MacPhyter3v PCI Adapter. Thanks.
roxyboby
Hi! and thanks for replying to my s.o.s. The Network card I have is a National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815 10/100 MacPhyter3v PCI Adapter.
The drivers consist of 4 files.

DP83815.C
DP83815.H
DP83815.O
MAKEFILE

Thanks
Corey
Okay, easy enough, while in that directory, issue the following commands:

~:# make clean
~:# make
~:# su -c make install

It'll ask you for your password then so it can install the module. When it completes, issue the command:

~:# su -c modprobe -v dp83815

This should insert the module code into your running kernel, allowing your network card to work.
roxyboby
I am back again. I must b doing something wrong here. The drivers are on the CD. I mounted the CD ROM drive and go into the directory where the following driver files are found on the CD. Now when I issue the command make clean the following error occurs

** No targets specified and no make file found. Stop.

What am I doing wrong????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.