Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lilo Bootloader Help Need To Add Redhat 9
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
mmkay
Allright I have a Master / Slave set up

Mandrake 9.1 On Master

Redhat 9 On Slave

Well redhat isn't on Mandrake's lilo bootloader I REALLY need to add it..

But I don't know how.

If anyone could help me I would be forever thankful.

Thanks! biggrin.gif
Corey
If your bootloader is setup with Mandrake, then, while in mandrake, you should mount your rh9 partition and copy the kernel image over (normally in /boot on the redhat install) to your mandrake boot directory. From there, you can add an additional entry in your bootloader (sorry, you didn't mention what you were running) to load up redhat from your /dev/hdb1 partition.

I could give you more specific instructions if you tell me your partition setup for both disks as well as what bootloader you are running (lilo? grub?).
hughesjr
What duende said will work ... LILO is the default laoder, and it looks like that is what you used...

what you need to do is boot to mandrake, and mount the redhat boot partiton.

You said RedHat was a Slave drive ... but you didn't say if it was primary slave or secondary slave ... primary slave is /dev/hdb and secondary slave is /dev/hdd ... I will assume /dev/hdb (primary slave), use /dev/hdd if you use secondary slave...

When booted up in mandrake and logged in as root, make a directory in the .mnt directory called redhat...(mkdir /mnt/redhat).

Figure out the partitons on the redhat drive and what each is for...fdisk -l /dev/hdb. As a minumum there will be a swap and a root partition. The results will look something like this:

CODE
  Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *         1        13    104391   83  Linux
/dev/hdb2            14       144   1052257+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb3           145      7476  58894290   83  Linux

Looking at my example, hdb2 is the swap partition and hdb1 and hdb3 are Linux partitons. SInce hdb1 is very small, I would assume it is the boot partition so hdb3 is the root partition forthe redhat install...

SO ... after creating the /mnt/redhat directory, I would issue the following command to mount the redhat directory and read it from Mandrake:

mount /dev/hdb3 /mnt/redhat

I would then go to the directory /mnt/redhat/boot (cd /mnt/redhat/boot and see if the kernel files are there (ls -al). If the /mnt/redhat/boot directory is empty, then the RedHat boot partition is seperate ... in our list above we thought it might be /dev/hdb1 ... it probably is...

So now I would move out of the /mnt/redhat/boot directory (cd ..) so I can mount the redhat boot directory (mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/redhat/boot), then go back to the /mnt/redhat/boot directory (cd /mnt/redhat/boot) and look at the files there again (ls -al), now you should have all the files (if you didn't before)...

now, copy the kernel you want to boot from (and the system.map and initrd file for that kernel) to the mandrake boot directory ... the easiest thing to do is to figure out the kernel version you are using (mine is 2.4.20-20.9, yours may be different...) and issue the command (from within the /mnt/redhat/boot directory):

cp *2.4.20-20.9* /boot

Then you should be able to boot OK after modifiying the mandrake lilo.conf file and rerunning lilo...

open the file /etc/lilo.conf for editing and copy lines from the current boot kernel and paste it to the bottom of the file...the lines should look something like this:

CODE
image=/boot/vmlinuz
       label="linux"
       root=/dev/hda1
       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
       append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
       vga=788
       read-only

Then edit the lies you pasted to read this:

CODE
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.9
       label="RedHat 9"
       root=/dev/hdb3
       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-20.9.img
       append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
       vga=788
       read-only

You would use whatever the vmlinuz and initrd files you copied over were(not necessarily 2.4.20-20.9, your kernel number may have been different) and you would use your actual redhat root partition (maybe hdb1 or hdd3, etc.)....also you may want to remove all but devfs=mount from within the quotes of the append line...then run the command:

/sbin/lilo

If you get any errors, post the results and we can probably help you...

If lilo gives you no errors, you should be able to unmount the redhat partitioins and reboot ...

cd /
umount /mnt/redhat/boot
umount /mnt/redhat
reboot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.