Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wireless Works For Lan But Not For Internet
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
CHudsonTX
This is a little odd. I'm running a beta of suse9 and have ran into an odd problem that I've never seen before. The OS recognizes my WL110 nic (compaq) fine. I can browse around in my lan using the ip addresses of the other machines. When I try to go out on the web though it will not resolve the web address name. At first I thought it wasn't getting the correct nameserver info but all of it is there in the config files. If I use the embedded ("regular cat10) nic then I can surf the net just fine. It's very odd that the wireless nic works fine in that I can ping & smb browse other machines but it will not go out on the internet. Like I said before though i can get out onto the net from the 10/100 nic.

any ideas of things I should check or why the wireless apparntly works but won;t get out? I've looked in var/log/messages and I dont see anything odd.
hughesjr
could be an iptables issue (not allowing port 53 udp to the wireless card). Try stopping iptables and see if it works.

It could also be a problem with the Internet sharing server (is it a wireless router, a windows machine or a Linux machine)?
CHudsonTX
well I'm still having the problem ! UGH!!!! this is so annoying.......I'm using a Linksys router (that works w/ windows). I've even went into my resolv.conf & set my nameservers (earthlink) manually.

If anyone has any experience getting Suse 9 to work with a wireless router then please let me know. I'm using a Compaq WL110 nic, Linksys 802.11b router.

My problem is that I can browse the internal "network" behind my router but the only way to get onto the internet is to use the "wired" embedded nic.

thanks for your time.
C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.