Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windows Stole My Bootloader
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
iamregin
I have been running linux mandrake for about a week and liked it. Unfortunatly i have to have windows installed so i can do my Visual Basic homework for school. I left a big chuck of my harddrive open for windows, when i was installing it told me windows xp must be the active partition to continue installation. Well this i figured not to be a problem i'd just use a boot disk run fdisk and reset the active partition later. When i did that the computer booted up and said, no operating system found, but when i set active back to the F: (windows) Xp boots. I don't know what happend, how come my bootloader doesn't run? did windows crap out my linux partition. I tried to run the rescue portion of the madrake cd, but my computer does' work the linux install very well, it won't load to memory, unless i have the computer off for a long time. When i run rescue it says /Mnt/cdrom not found or somthing like that. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPEND!!!
iamregin
To add to this, i think that i installed the bootloader to the linux partition is there a way to add lilo to the MBR from windows?
Corey
When you install windows XP, chances are, it will overwrite your linux bootloader. I just finished installing XP on a seperate partition after having gentoo installed, and it eased grub on me.

If you have created a bootdisk for your linux distribution, you need to boot into it, and re-initialize your bootloader. If you are using lilo, this can be as simple as adding a windows entry in your /etc/lilo.conf file (there should be a commented-out example in there) and then re-running lilo with "lilo -v".

If you're using grub, then you need to add a windows entry in your /boot/grub/grub.conf (menu.lst on older versions) and then running grub and resetting it up.

I'll give small examples for each:

LILO
Open /etc/lilo.conf , and add your windows partition (usually at the bottom):

[quote]
other = /dev/hda3
  label = WindowsXP
[/quote]

save the file, and rerun lilo (/sbin/lilo -v)

GRUB
Open /boot/grub/grub.conf, and add your windows partition (at the bottom):

[quote]
title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
makeactive
chainloader +1
[/quote]

Now, run grub:

[quote]
# grub
[/quote]

Tell it where your root partition is (the partition that linux is on):

[quote]
grub> root (hd0,0)
[/quote]

Now, install grub into the master boot record:

[quote]
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit
[/quote]

Note: Grub labels it's partitions starting from 0, so hda1 = (hd0,0) , hda2 = (hd0,1), etc.

Now, you should be able to reboot, and your bootloader will open up and you can choose windows or linux.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.