Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems With Asus A7n266 Mobo
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
asmodath1701
Hello all smile.gif

I have a problem. I was able to run Linux (Mandrake, HedHat, etc) before I updated my MOBO BIOS 6 months ago. I recently tried to install Mandrake 9.2 and it would not work. I have e-mailed a request to ASUS for my original BIOS, but untill they get back to me, is there another fix for my problem? My mobo is an ASUS A7N266, BIOS Rev. 1004. Please tell me if this is a known issue with the N-Force 420 based mobos. Thanks.
Corey
I have an Asus a7n266-e motherboard, and I don't have any problems with regards to installing linux on there. I currently have Gentoo installed, but other distros like SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, Slackware, etc. have installed without problems. I haven't upgraded my bios (afaik), when it comes to the bios, i'm a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" type of person.

Now, I have had problems with audio playing Quake3, aparently as of point release 1.30, nforce-audio breaks with certain sounds, i've talked to nVidia tech support, and they say it should be fixed in the next driver release, whenever that will be.

Can you be a little more descriptive as to what the problem is? Are you getting any error messages, or anything of the sort?
asmodath1701
Basically, it freezes during the boot sequece. It has been awhile since I've tried an install but during the PASS - FAIL section of the boot up it hangs, can't remember exactly where. But it didn't do it before the BIOS update. It's too bad you have the -E version of the ASUS board, or you could e-mail me your BIOS sad.gif I'm still waiting for ASUS to get back to me about my original BIOS. Thanks though
Corey
Are you sure the bios for the E version is that much different? I thought the only difference was the the -E had dolby 5.1 sound. I could be wrong tho.
asmodath1701
I think it makes a big differance, I think that the southbridge chip is actually differant. My audio is handled by a C-Media chip, what handles the audio on your board?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.