Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ttysnoop
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
wwtk
Hello,

I have installed ttysnoop 12c-7 on Debian linux (woody) running kernel 2.2.20, checked /etc/snooptab (made no changes), added -L /usr/sbin/ttysnoops to /etc/inetd.conf, hup'd inetd, and now when I try to telnet to the machine, I get the error, can't bind server socket (/var/spool/ttysnoop/ttyp0) can't set termios.

There are no files in /var/spool/ttysnoop/, and I assume there should be a socket or something there for ttysnoops to bind to. The question is are these files dynamically created, or do I have to create them somehow? I have been unable to find any information about this, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

WWTK
wwtk
an interesting addition, if I run ttysnoops from a shell, I get a login prompt, and can log in and snoop that seesion (/var/spool/ttysnoop/ttypX gets created)...........

So I guess it is not the creation of that file that is the problem, but rather some interaction between in.telnetd and ttysnoops?
wwtk
Well, I have it working with a workaround, but I don't like it much. If anyone knows a better way, I would sure like to hear it......

I changed the user and group that in.telnetd runs as to root, and now it works. Not sure I like the telnet daemon running with root authority though.
wwtk
Well, I see that it is in the documentation to run as root, guess I should have read a little closer...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.