Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing New Software ?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
eroica
hello there,
I am new 2 linux and i have so many ?'s. But seriously, Just installed mandrake 9.1 Power pack w/bare minumum of features and I wanted 2 start installing stuff like Open Office (I assume that the KDEOffice I see is not the same as OpenOffice, a cdplayer etc...) But when I was trying last night in the Control center to load software i didnt see anything on the screen to load. I assume You have to put a cd in but how do u get linux to look there to start install? Also how do u know which cd has openoffice or an mp3 player on it so u can install that software. so many ?'s so little time. Any answers welcome...

alan

p.s.- if u already have a program installed will linux alert u 2 this and stop the installation?
del_hamilton
try booting with the original cds and taking the upgrade option.

there you should be able to select individual packages. i'm not sure if it will tell you which packages are already installed but i don't think it will do any harm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.