Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual Booting Linux And Xp
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
LeftofCool
I tried to dual boot Linux and XP Home without much success. Everything seemed to have installed fine, but no matter what I tried I couldn't get out of text mode once booting into Linux from LILO. I am very interested in programming in general but I also understand the necessity for Linux on my system if I am to continue my journey. I would greatly appreciate some detailed instructions or documentation on how to dual boot Linux and XP successfully. I am beginning to think I downloaded a corrupt version or burned it corruptly from the mirror site or the like (I downloaded from MandrakeLinux.com). But if I do it again I want to do it right so as to avoid wiping my HDD for the third time.
hughesjr
If the install went without error and you can login as root from the prompt ... then the problem is probably just that your x-windows is misconfigured.

What make/model is your video card and monitor?
LeftofCool
I have a 64meg Geforce 4 440 Go and I have a 15" XGA TFT Monitor. I tried editing the X file several times but sometimes I couldn't even access it, it told me I didn't have permission. Isn't there a way for Linux to autoconfigure for you?
hughesjr
There is a way, but it doesn't always work....

try this command(while logged in as root):

(first backup your current /etc/X11/XF86Config file using this command)

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config.bak

Now we will generate a new XF86Config file using this command:

XFree86 -configure

Then issue this command to copy the new file to /etc/X11 ...

cp XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config
-------------------------
This should generate a fairly usable config file ... but you may need to edit the config file and add the monitor horizontal and vertical scan rates.

You need to lookup the scan rates of your monitor (or post the exact model and make and I will try to find the scan rates).

Here is a scan rates from a Phillips 15" TFT Monitor (it may work OK ... but it might be better to look up better rates!) from the website:

Scanning
Vertical refresh rate 56~76 Hz
Horizontal frequency 30~61 kHz

... you would add this to the monitor section (if that is your scan rates):

HorizSync 30.0 - 61.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0

The Monitor Section is the part of the file that it after Section "Monitor" ... but before the next EndSection
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.