Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Need Some Help Getting A Remote Server Started
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
allmightyspiff
ok.. im running slackware 9 with kernal 2.4.0

I just learned how to use ssh to get into my server remotly and now I want to do more. I tried starting X but it said it was already going. which it was and thats ok. I just want to know how I can get it to work and if any of you can point me into the right direction to setting up remote access stuff id be very appreciative.

What i want is to be able to (remotly) startx, maybe have internet radio. thats about it.

thanks
-Chris
hughesjr
To do X things remotely, you have to be using a PC that is running X locally ...

So if you are connecting from a Linux PC (via ssh) and you want to run mozilla on the remote machine, in the terminal window (that you opened to the remote machine) you just type the command mozilla and you are surfing the web using the remote PC. So you must know how to start the program you want, not the entire desktop, when working on the remote machine.

If you are connecting from a Windows PC that isn't an X server it is harder ... you must install some software like Hummingbird Exceed to display X items in windows...but after that, it's the same. You open a terminal window and execute programs on the server and the display comes back to your client PC.

For this to work, on the remote machine, this line must be in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config

X11Forwarding yes

And on the client machine (if it is linux/unix) then the following must be in /etc/ssh/ssh_config

ForwardX11 yes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.