Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Mandrake Linux
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
eroica
hello there,
New 2 linux and wonder if someone can guide me. bought new mandrake linux power suite 9.1 for an old ibm thinkpad 390 pii 233mhz. cant get it 2 install. as i go thru installation process when it starts installing packages i keep on getting error messages "there was an error installing packages: readline-4.3-4mdk.i586" then i click yes for continue and keep on getting other messages for other packages like "locales-2.3.14-6mdk.i586" and "Setup-2.3.0-1mdk.i586" and other numerous error messages of the same type. some packages would install, it seemed. after 2 1/2 hours of installation process i gave up and tried the installation in text mode and same exact trouble. the hardware is standard for the thinkpad except i added an linksys etherfast pc card. does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed. is something up w/my disro disc's? is this common and should just keep on going till end?? Like I said any and all help welcome.....

alan

p.s.- disc's were bought off e-bay at the linuxbsd store
hughesjr
how big is your hard drive .... your root partition can need to be as large as 5GB to install all Mandrake 9.1 packages....The standard Hard Drive for thinkpad 390 was i think 4.3GB.
eroica
its a 6gb fujitsu. i had 2 replace the original 3.2 gb. i'm using the whole disk for the linux installation....

alan
hughesjr
It would seem that the discs have errors OR that something is not being detected correctly.

Is there an option to check the media ... and this is obvious, but make sure there are no fingerprints on the CD's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.