Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lilo Won't Rewrite Mbr
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
oobob
Greetings. I just compiled my kernel, got everything in order, changed my lilo.conf file, and then ran lilo. But when I rebooted, it gave me the same boot options as before (despite renaming the previous kernel/system.map/etcetc and changing the lilo.conf file, then running lilo). I tried /sbin/lilo (with -M and every other flag that related to installing the bootloader), but lilo still isn't writing to the MBR. And no command gives me any output. I'm running slackware 9, I just compiled the 2.4.22 kernel, and lilo is installed to the MBR. Could this be a problem with the kernel location (Slackware 9 listed my linux folder in /usr/include, not /usr/src, so I moved my new kernel folder there, renamed the old folder, and sorted out the entire /boot directory with updated names). And I've tried renaming almost everything - even when I make my new kernel vmlinuz, lilo still loads the old one. Any ideas? Did I screw up the compile or am I not using lilo right?

Thanks,
Carl
michaelk
When you updated lilo where there any errors?

Are you sure your writing lilo to the MBR?
oobob
No errors, no output of any kind (and by update, I assume you mean updating the mbr, but I'm not sure). Is there a log file I should look in? I tried /sbin/lilo -M (man page says it writes to the mbr), then used the flags to manually specify what config file to use and to install it to the mbr, but neither of these worked or gave me any text. I tried /sbin/lilo, and /sbin/lilo -v (and -v -v), all with no sign of anything happenning. If you were writing lilo to the mbr, what commands would you use? My brother had the same problem when he compiled his kernel, so I'm assuming we're leaving out a step.
Thanks,
Carl
hughesjr
Do you have a file in /etc named lilo.conf .... if so, what does it have in it.

The actual location of the Kernel Source is not important ... the kernel stands by itself (with /lib/modules) after it is compiled...
oobob
Here's my lilo config file:
'# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda
#compact # faster, but won't work on all systems.
prompt
#timeout = 300
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
vga = 773
# Normal VGA console
# vga = normal
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
# vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
# vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
# vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
# vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
# vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
# vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
# vga=769
# ramdisk = 0 # paranoia setting
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/hda3
label = Slackware-2.4.22
image = /boot/vmlinuz.old
root = /dev/hda3
label = Slackware-2.4.20
read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda1
label = WinXP
table = /dev/hda
# DOS bootable partition config ends

vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old are sym links - the actual files are named according to kernel version
Thanks,
Carl
hughesjr
symbolic links should work fine .... but just for the heck of it, put the actual name of the kernel file in the lilo.conf and see what happens...

I don't see anything wrong with the lilo.conf...except that you might want to put:

read-only

in your Slackware-2.4.22 section....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.