Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sendmail - Relaying Denied
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
jdickert
Looking for some help,

I just upgraded my server hardware and decided to do the same with my RH Linux from 8.0 to 9. My mail server is the latest build of Sendmail and I also have Spamassasin installed. I configured the new server the same as my old server but now, when I try to send mail outside of my local network, all my users are getting the error

550 5.7.1 <any-user@yahoo.com>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed

I've tried everything I can think of from configuring my sendmail.cf file for relaying based on MX record to adding my class C range to the /etc/mail/allow file. My network is a mix of DHCP assigned private IPs and some static Internet IPs.

Any suggestions on where I should be looking next?

Thanks for any help.
Joey
Hi,

Make sure you have the following in your /etc/hosts.allow:
sendmail: ALL

As well, Red Hat ships sendmail configured for local delivery only.

You'll want to change the following line in your sendmail.mc file:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

To this:

dnlDAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

And then restart sendmail.

As well, what do you have in your /etc/mail/access files? You should put in the hosts that are allowed to relay through your server. For example in mine I have:

10.1.1.1 RELAY
10.1.1.2 RELAY
hughesjr
create a text file named /etc/mail/relay-domains and put the domain names that you will allow relaying FROM (ie, the name of all mail domains hosted on the server) in that file ... 1 domain name on each line.

Then in the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file make sure the line:

FR-o /etc/mail/relay-domains

is not remarked out (that it doesn't have a # or ; in front of it).

If you had to create files or change the sendmail.cf file, you must restart sendmail to see the effects of the changes....

/etc/init.d/sendmail restart
Here is more info on relaying e-mail with sendmail...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.