Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suse Root Wierdness
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Job
Hello, I am running suse 8.2 on a 733mhz desktop.

The events leading to my troubles is as follows:
I was installing some deval packages using yast2 and got the "Resolve conflicting dependancy" window, so I clicked on expert to see what the options were and scrolled the wheel of my mouse. This caused everything to freeze, exept for the mouse but I could'nt click anything or select windows using the mouse or alt+tab. After leaving it for a while to sort things out nothing happened so I hit the restart button.

My problem:
When using my normal user account, su does not recognize my root password. I -can- login as root though, and entering the root password to restart the machine also workes. Under root I created another basic user and loged in as that account. Same results when I tried su.
Joey
You might have it set so only certain users in a specific group can use su. Normally this is the wheel user. You might want to add a user to the wheel group and then try using SU.
Job
I have used su before normaly before that crash, the problem only showed up afterwards. And also, a new development:
if I lock my screen it doen't accept the password for my user to unlock it. I changed the decryption alogrith away from DES when I first installed, could it be gnome is trying to use a different algorithm to decypt it?
hughesjr
Turning off power (or the reset button) is VERY, VERY bad in Linux...don't ever do it on purpose except as a very last resort...

Some other things to try besides the power/reset button:

Alt-Ctrl-Del - Can popup a logout window in GUI mode, restarts in Console mode.

Alt-Ctrl-Backspace - exits GUI ... if running a Display Manager, restarts the display manager.

Alt-Ctrl-F2 (F3 or F4) - Takes you to console mode - where you can login as root and kill the hung process or reboot. (Alt-Ctrl-F7 can take you back to GUI).

You may have some corruption in either the /etc/passwd file, the /etc/group file, or the shadow password area ... or it may be something wrong with the YAST configuration file ... maybe even something else (an executable) corrupted in such a way that it can't read the file for lookup.

If the system was critical, I would do a full backup to a new hard drive ... make sure the second hard drive works, then reinstall SUSE as an upgrade on the original disk, which should replace all the executables. I would then upgrade useing yast and see if everything is OK ... if not, or if any configuration files are changed, then you can recover them from the backup disk....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.