Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Get To Root Shell
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
tosvold
Can't find a simple answer anywhere.
Have been networking Microsoft products since 1985, so you'd think I could find this.

OS: RedHat 9.0. They updated the ssl, and I've downloaded the 2 files needed.

Question 1:
Why is one named gnome?
Question 2:
How do I launch these? double clicking the .rpm only gets it 1/2 way there.
I read in some support forum here that I need to use the cmd: rpm -Uvh from a Root shell/terminal. OK. How do I get to the root shell? (or as MS calls it Command Prompt)
Any suggestions? Ive looked under the start menu, but can't find root, or anything like that.
Pls send your answers to:
tosvold@hotmail.com

I appreciate the help! With some support y'all can take one of Bill Gates oldest users off his list of friends!!!!!!
:-)
Joey
I assume you're logged into the desktop in linux. If you can't find a terminal program in the menu then hold down the control and alt keys and press f1 or f2. This will dump you into console. From there you can log in as the root user and use the rpm -Uvh command to install the RPMs. Once you're done type exit and then hold down the control key and press f7 to get back to the desktop.
tosvold
OK,
used ctrl/alt and F1 to get into console mode.
Couple of questions that 'help' didn't answer (or I didn't know how to stop the screen at each page).
1) How do I exit Console? I saw [n] and tried that, no luck. tried ctrl/alt/esc and ctrl/alt/del, no luck. How do I EXIT the console to get back to my desktop (w/o having to hard power off the system)?
2) how do I change directories? In Microsoft it's cd, and cd/abc/123 to get to where you want to go. What is the "up" a directory and what is the 'show directories and files' when I'm in a directory and want to see whats in the file are I am in?
Thanks!!
tosvold
OK,
Getting closer!
used these three commands to try and run the 2 files.

rpm -fvh
rpm -Fvh
and
rpm -Uvh (which you suggested)

I typed these cmds before the packages names. ie:

rpm -Uvh up2date.3.1.23.2-1.i386.rpm up2date-gnome-3.1.23.2-1.i386.rpm

(notice both have been typed in and there is a 1 character space between the two file names. I think this is the correct way to do this. If not, tell me.)
Is this wrong??
Here's the Error message I'm getting;

error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -operation not permitted (1)
error: cannot open Packages database in /vara/lib/rpm

Any help on how I'm messing this up would be appreciated!!! blink.gif
hughesjr
use alt-ctrl-F7 to get back to the GUI...

The command is correct (rpm -Uvh filename filename)

The error you are getting means the database is open ... make sure you don't have up2date or some other package manager software open on the desktop...then issue the command.
Joey
Or you may not be logged in as root.
tosvold
Having the Up2date program running makes perfect sense for the errors I was seeing, ie "can't get control of".
Y'all are helping tremendously.

OK, had the ? open on the systray (bottom right corner), not sure what Linux calls the Systray. Right clicked, hit "close". Figured that would close the Up2date program.
Maybe it did, maybe not.
What is the RedHat equivalent to MS's ctrl-alt-del to get to Task Manager and 'see' what's running so I can manually shut down processes?

Also, when I set this up, I made my password as root. But, is there a way in RedHat 9 to re-log in as root administrator to make sure?

We're almost there, thanks for the support.
hughesjr
when you login, use root as the username and the password you picked for root as the password.

before you type the commands, in the terminal (or console window) type the command:

whoami

to see who you are logged in as ... if you are not root, use the command:

su - root

then use your root password ...

then you can do the rpm -Uvh command...
tosvold
SUCCESS!

Thanks for the help.
Simple things like ctrl-alt-F1 and ctrl-alt-F7 are found no where in Red Hat's online help. (I d/l'ed the OS instead of buying the box set).
Also, logging in as Root was never explained.
Root is a throwback to old Microsoft code. In all honesty, RH Linux 9.0 should not have this problem, but in any event, it eventually occurred to me, after reading and re-reading your helpful posts. When I kept reading "log in as root", I thought "well during Install, I set up my username's password to be the same as the Adminstrator, what the hell is the problem?". I never thought that I'd have to do an old Microsoft move like 'log out' then 'log in' as some one else, Root.
Hopefully RH will fix this in the next release. (if they want to increase the home user take rate).
Another suggestion for RH would be, when you click on a file, it opens/installs/runs. Having Joe Six Pack have to figure out how to find the command console will make Microsoft only stronger.

Ok, enough rant.
I'm truly greatful for your time and attention to my issue. I've learned the basics and now never have to go back to Bill G. begging for forgiveness again.

I'M FREE!
hughesjr
Microsoft stole the root concept from UNIX and called it Administrator on their products ... (Well, OK, not really stole it, it makes since to have a seperate admin user, so they borrowed it for their network products). Linux also uses the the concept from UNIX.

However, the concept is good. You don't normally operate with Administrative priviledges ... so if something bad happens (like a virus being executed) it doesn't have permission to take down the whole system...

It also makes us more careful when we log on as root to make system wide adjustments...since we know we are doing something that can have a major impact on the whole system....
tosvold
Agreed that one needs to have ROOT permissions to make system wide changes.

If Linux is ever going to get off the ground (more that 1/10 of 1% of home users), someone is going to have to come up with a more user friendly system.

I understand the power of getting Large Enterprises to use Linux and the $ power that brings (I've been in sales to Enterprises), but theres a great unwashed mass of home users who will never switch if they have to figure out alt-ctrl-F1.
hughesjr
I would argue that Windows is not any more user friendly than Linux.

The difference is, people have learned to use windows (It's in their schools, it's in their workspaces, it's on their current computer's) ... If you only knew how to speak german and you moved to a place where the all the street signs were spanish, at first it would be hard to read the street signs; however after you learned to read spanish it would be alot easier to get around! (and it wouldn't do much good to complain that people would be able to get around alot easier if these guys would just put up some german street signs!...)

The Windows way of doing things is not necessarily:

a) The only way to do them.
B) The best way to do them.

Linux is user freindly and easy ... but it is not windows.

BTW, in the man page for XFree86 it does discuss how to switch consoles using ALT+CTRL+F1.

Did you know that in Windows (and Linux) you can cycle through open programs by pressing (and holding the ALT key and using TAB to select the program ... if so, how did you learn it...if not, give it a try!

I will be glad to help you learn whatever I know about linux, windows, UNIX or whatever ... and I would even agree that if the goal is for Linux to replace Windows then that goal would be easier to obtain if Linux were more Windows-like ... I just don't think that the goal is necessarily to replace Windows, but to provide an operating system that does what is required....
tosvold
hughesjr,
Appreciate the help.

Next question for you, my Linux guru amigo;

I have a BayStack 660 wireless Access Point, and multiple wireless cards which I have running in my home WinXP network.
(I was at Bay Networks back in the olden days of the last century)

These drivers continue to amaze me. Nortel dumped the line in 2000, but the drivers still work under XP.
I've found what I believe are Linux drivers from linux-wlan.com, but I have no idea how to install them.
There are a bunch of folders that unzipped, and a bunch of files. One is 'makefile'.
Anyway, I'm stumped as to what to do with this bunch of files. I think my answer is in here but have no idea where to start w/ this haystack!

ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan/

Any help? Any ideas where I can find a Bay Networks w=nic driver that's better?
hughesjr
I added an entry in your Baystack 660 thread....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.