Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Cant Set Up The X Gui For Mandrake 6.0...
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
RIT0296
i just installed mandrake 6.0 basically cause i already had the cd on me. anyways, when i tried to configure my monitor and graphics card settings, X windows was really messed up. first of all my monitor was not listed and when i did a custom, i was able to choose resolution and refresh rate but my specific vertical frequency range was not listed. then when choosing my graphics card setup, my particular card was again not listed so i did a custom and still no luck.

can anyone help me out here?

thanks
eric
Corey
Seems like Mandrake 6 is a little on the old side, is it possible that your hardware is newer then the distribution itself? Not too long ago I attempted to install Redhat 5.2 on my current system, and it wouldn't take without a lot of effort.

Maybe you should invest in a newer release, just a suggestion.
hughesjr
I just had the same issue as duende trying to install Redhat 5.2 as a test machine to try and help someone here ... I couldn't get it to install on any of my pentium III machines at first. After I reduced the memory to 512-768mb I got it to install, but there where many other problems ... and I never got a stable install. All my problems were because the 2.0 Kernel didn't properly interact with the newer hardware. If I upgraded the kernel to 2.4 then everything went well...but it wasn't really redhat 5.2 any longer!

I would highly recommend you install a newer version of Linux than Mandrake 6.0, unless you have hardware that is compatible with it. (I would say a Pentium 75-233, or PII up to 400) ... If you have a pentium II/400 or better chip, Mandrake 8.0 is the oldest install I would do (Actually, if you have 128mb ram and a pIII or better, Mandrake 9.1 is what I recommend, and Mandrake 9.2 should be released in just a week or two).

Mandrake 6.0 is based on the Linux 2.2 Kernel ... which is a little newer than the 2.0 kernel that I was trying to install with RedHat 5.2, but it won't work properly with hardware that is released after it was designed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.