Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandrake 9.1 And Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
phinaliumz
Hi all and thank you for viewing this problem I have.

I am a Linux newbie and I am trying to set my system to work. My system is: Intel Pentium IV 3,06GHz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1gb RAM and Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb.

XFree86 4.3.0 will only work when I set driver to vesa. This ofc isn't enough to run games, like Half-Life. There my problems started. System works fine if I do not try to play games. I installed Wine and had it to work, installed Half-Life, but it was so sucky that I just couldn't play it. After RTFM and browsing Net I found out that I need enable DRI support for XFree86. So I went to ATI site when I dl Linux drivers to 9800 Pro.

I did what install-readme told me to do, and install with "rpm --force fglx*.rpm" since it conflicted with libGL.

After that, driverpack needs kernelsources to build up new module for Radeon. I installed sources from Mandrake install CDs, but driver couldn't find them. I don't remember the exact sentence but it was something like: kernel-sources is 2.4.21mdk, while uname-r gives " "

Well, I though that isn't a problem (how wrong I was). I build driver and installed it. I ran XF86Config, and all seemed to be fine. flgrxinfo told that DRI support is now enabled. I rebooted (being former Windoz user it seemed to make sense), but after that I had "Kernel panic, no init found" unsure.gif

I reinstalled Mandrake in order to get function again. Now into my question (sorry for long post): Would you more experienced users tell newbie how to install new module (which needs kernel-sources) in proper way? So it would work? No kernel panic?
I'm bit unsure to install new kernel from www.kernel.org cos I'm afraid I make same mistake again. Installing Mandrake again reminds me Windoz world too much sad.gif

Thank you for your help.
hughesjr
You should be using fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-1.2.0.i586.rpm ... you probably are.

First, what is your uname -r say.

Mine says:

2.4.21-0.18mdk

So I need to try and find a kernel-source of the same version.....but my current kernel source (use this command to find yours rpm -qa | grep kernel-source.

kernel-source-2.4.21-0.25mdk

so I need to get either kernel-source-2.4.21-0.18mdk or upgrade my kernel to kernel-2.4.21-0.25mdk.

Here is how you can update your Mandrake to the latest updates (this will be all updates, not just the kernel ....). I would only do this if you have broadband and live in North America ... because the source I give is fast to the USA.

First, I set my update location (and even my Original RPMS locations).... like this:

copy the current /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file to a backup (so you can go back later with no problems)...

cp /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg.bak

Now edit the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg and replace it's contents with this:

CODE
updates ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.1/RPMS {
 hdlist: hdlist.updates.cz
 with_hdlist: ../base/hdlist.cz
}

rpms ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS {
 hdlist: hdlist.rpms.cz
 with_hdlist: ../base/hdlist.cz
}

rpms2 ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS2 {
 hdlist: hdlist.rpms2.cz
 with_hdlist: ../base/hdlist2.cz
}

This will allow you to do updates and install files from mirrors.secsup.org ... I normally download from this site at 230-250 kbs (my max broadband download speed)...

The do the commands to get the latest Mandrake 9.1 updates:

urmpi.update -a

then do this

urpmi --auto-select

You will download and install the latest updates.

You may have to download the kernel and kernel-source seperately .... first check your kernel and kernel-source to see what you have installed like this:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

mine now says:
kernel-2.4.21.0.25mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-source-2.4.21-0.25mdk

You can get the latest kernel and kernel-source (if you don't have it ... and if you changed your urpmi.cfg file) by issuing the following command:

urpmi kernel-2.4.21.0.25mdk kernel-source-2.4.21-0.25mdk

after successful installation, run the command:

lilo

You should see an output that includes something like this:

Added linux
Added linux-nonfb
Added failsafe
Added 2.4.21-18 *
Added 2421-25

In my case the new kernel (2421-25) is not te default boot kernel ... so I need to edit the file /etc/lilo.conf and find the line:

default="2.4.21-18"

I need to change it to this:

default="2421-25"

and then rerun the command:

lilo

and the output now looks like this:

Added linux
Added linux-nonfb
Added failsafe
Added 2.4.21-18
Added 2421-25 *

So the new kernel is now the default boot kernel....

-----------------
Now we need to make sure you have the proper info in /usr/src

cd /usr/src

ls -al | grep linux

you should see something like this:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jul 25 20:50 linux -> linux-2.4.21-0.25mdk/
drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 Aug 18 05:41 linux-2.4.21-0.25mdk/

The bold part is key ... that linux is pointing to linux-2.4.21-0.25mdk/ and that you are going to be booting to the kernel 2.4.21-0.25...

If all is well, reboot and try the install again as you did before....
(you may still have some problems ... the glibc [the c library...that runs all the programs] that the drivers were made for is versin 2.2, but mandrake 9.1 uses 2.3 ...and ATI doesn't include the source code to rebuild everything...).
phinaliumz
hughesjr, thank you for informative post, it nice to know that there are people willing to help. Thank you smile.gif

I will try what you said this evening, when its done I come back and say how it went.

Thanks again smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.