Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fonts In Windows And Gnome
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
hughesjr
All,

I had to use Internet explorer to view slashdot.org this morning (there was an article I wanted to read at the New York Times and I couldn't remember my username/password so I needed my IE cookie). This was the first time I browsed in IE in a long time ... and I thought, hey the fonts in IE don't look nearly as good as my Linux fonts. Then I thought I must be mistaken ... so I took screenshots and compared them. Sure enough, the Linux fonts (in my opinion) look better than the Windows Fonts.

I was flabergasted ... I just assumed the Windows had the better GUI/Fonts appearance ... and I never really noticed until I looked at them head to head that Linux has made remarkable progress.

I know this isn't really tech support related, but thought it would be a good topic to post at linuxhelp.net ... here are the pictures:

RedHat Linux 9 Screenshot

Windows XP Screenshot
CyberSlug
Perhaps you can help me in this area then, you always seem to answer all of my other questions smile.gif Thanks for all the past help.

I JUST got Debian Woody installed with KDE (WOOHOO) but the fonts in the Konqueror and Mozilla look like crap. Every letter looks like it has a shadow, or a ghost of itself next to it. It is very annoying and difficult to look at. This has been my observation with every Linux distro I have ever loaded.

I am using a PII 350, 192 MB RAM, old Riva TNT PCI video card w/ 16MB onboard.

Again, I appreciate your past help. Since I finally got this thing working I will be ready to start learning the nuts and bolts of it now (read as I will be posting here more frequently).

-cyberSlug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.