Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ftp Server
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
bjhink
I am wanting to host an ftp server for my office so our clients can login and gain access to certain files for viewing. I have a compaq server ready to setup. Dual pentium 133, 512mb ram, mirrored 9gig drives and a proliant storage system with 6, 9 gig drives raid 5. Right now this server has NT 4.0. I was wanting to blow this OS away and set a copy of Linux FTP outside our firewall for clients to access. First of all which distribution of Linux should I use? Second, can I use a desktop version of Linux to setup this FTP server, or do I have to load a server version of Linux? Again, this is going to be a simple FTP server nothing fancy. Thanks. blink.gif
hughesjr
Linux server and desktop use the same programs ... the difference is really just one of support and stability.

The companies that put out an enterprise server version test the packages together and other than required security updates and bugs, don't really change the server until they release another version... and they offer more support for the server.

But specifically for an FTP server a desktop version of linux would be just fine.

I would recommend the Debian (Woody version) for the FTP server. It is rock solid stable and Debian is very good about providing security releases. Woody is older packages than the newer distros (Xfree 4.1.0, gcc 2.95, etc.), but because of that it is better suited for a Dual P-133 server.

Reguardless of DIstro, I would use proftpd as my ftp server.

That's my opinion ... anyone else?
Joey
I would go with a trimmed down install of Red Hat and ProFTPd as the FTP server.
hughesjr
QUOTE (Joey @ Sep 4 2003, 05:14 PM)
I would go with a trimmed down install of Red Hat and ProFTPd as the FTP server.

RedHat would also be good ... make sure to use the smp kernel for dual processors...(in the RedHat install it should detect that).
bjhink
Thanks guys.
Joey
You're very welcome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.