Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unable To Register (rquotaprog, Rquotavers, Udp)
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
sbrower
This problem began after I did an up2date. I have searched newsgroups and
found several posts with similar problems, but no solution to my issue.

When booting I get to the point where:

<SNIP>
starting NFS quotas: cannot register service : RPC: Unable to receive;
errno = Connection refused

rpc.quotad : unable to register (RQUOTAPROG, RQUOTAVERS, udp)

portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out.
<SNIP>

When I go to command line and type:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start

everything is fine:

Starting portmapper [ OK ]

and with

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start

again,

Starting NFS services: [ OK ]
Starting NFS quotas: [ OK ]
Starting NFS daemon: [ OK ]
Starting NFS mountd: [ OK ]

Any ideas? I do not currently use NFS as this machine is not (yet) on an
internal network. I will be using it soon, though. Also, I have not
manually configured any NFS quotas.
Thanks,
-SRB
hughesjr
in your /etc/rc3.d and /etc/rc5.d directories, what are the files for networking, nfs, portmap, and nfslock?

(ie S10networking, S13portmap, S14nfslock, S20nfs)
sbrower
Thanks for the reply.
In /etc/rc3.d the files are:
K87portmap
S14nfslock
S60nfs
S10network

In /etc/rc5.d the files are:
K87portmap
There is no *nfs file
K20nfs
S10network

Should I:
cp /etc/rc3.d/S60nfs /etc/rc5.d/S60nfs
?
sbrower
oops, then should I chmod to....what?
thanks.
hughesjr
OK ... here is how the /etc/rcx.d directories and runlevels work in the sysV linux ...

There are 7 runlevels ... 0,1,2,3,4,5,6.

Each runlevel has it's own /etc/rcx.d directory (so rc1.d is runlevel 1 directory, rc3.d is runlevel 3 directory, etc.).

If you look at your file called /etc/inittab, there is a line similar to this (at the top of the file):

id:3:initdefault:

The number in the above line ... in this case, 3 ... is the default runlevel. So my computer starts up in runlevel 3 ...

Some of the run levels have predefined meanings in Linux/Unix ...

runlevel 0 is shutdown to HALT

runlevel 1 is single user mode ... it is a very minimal startup so that you can do troubleshooting, no network. This is the runlevel to use when you can't do a normal startup because something is broken... It is also a good runlevel to do backups from because a minimal number of files are open.

runlevel 3 is character based mode - most things will start in this mode, except (normally) not X windows ... so you get a console login screen. If you need to troubleshoot your X setup or install something in character based mode (but you need other things like networking) then you want to boot to runlevel 3. You can normally start an X session by typing startx at the console. I almost always start all my machines in this mode.

runlevel 5 is GUI (or X) mode - it should start all the same things that start in runlevel 3 PLUS your display manager (xdm,kdm or gdm). This gives you a graphical login screen.

runlevel 6 is shutdown to reboot mode.
-------------------
In each runlevel (/etc/rcx.d) directory, there are files named Kxxname and Sxxname. The K files are run when exiting that mode (ie shuting down the machine) and the S files are run when entering that mode (starting up the machine). Files are executed in numerical order ... so when entering a runlevel, S01whatever would execute first, S02name would execute next, etc.

When shutting down, K01name is executed first, K02 second, etc.

The files in the rcx.d directories are really not files ... they are links. A link is a placeholder that actually points to a file in another location. If you issue the command ls -al /etc/rc3.d/ | grep S you will see where the linked filenames are actually pointing...it will look something like this (I only picked a couple of lines):

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jul 20 15:16 S05kudzu -> ../init.d/kudzu
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Jul 20 15:17 S08iptables -> ../init.d/iptables
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Jul 20 15:18 S09isdn -> ../init.d/isdn
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 20 15:16 S10network -> ../init.d/network

So in this example, when entering runlevel 3 (the /etc/rc.d directory) on startup, the order that things will start is S05kudzu then S08iptables then S09isdn then S10network.

The command ls -al /etc/rc3.d/ | grep K shows these files:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Jul 20 15:17 K05saslauthd -> ../init.d/saslauthd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jul 20 17:32 K10lircd -> ../init.d/lircd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jul 20 15:18 K20nfs -> ../init.d/nfs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Jul 20 15:17 K24irda -> ../init.d/irda

Filenames in the rcx.d directories that begin with Sxx actually pass a start parameter to the file they link to ... so issuing the command /etc/rc3.d/S05kudzu is the same as issuing the command /etc/init.d/kudzu start.

Filenames in the rcx.d directories that begin with Kxx actually pass a stop parameter to the file they link to ... so issuing the command /etc/rc3.d/K05saslauthd is the same as issuing the command /etc/init.d/K05saslauthd stop.

----------------------
So to fix your problem with nfs ... you have to startup all the right stuff in the right order .....

The commands that I think will fix you are as follows (enter them one at a time):

cd /etc/rc3.d

rm K87portmap
rm S60nfs
ln -s ../init.d/portmap S13portmap
ln -s ../init.d/nfs S60nfs

now do an ls from within the /etc/rc3.d directory and you should see:

S10networking
S13portmap
S14nfslock
S60nfs

Now...

cd /etc/rc5.d

rm K87portmap
rm K20nfs
ln -s ../init.d/portmap S13portmap
ln -s ../init.d/nfslock S14nfslock
ln -s ../init.d/nfs S60nfs

Now...

cd /etc/rc0.d

do and ls and look for

K20nfs
K86nfslock
K87portmap
K90network

if one of the files isn't there you would get it there like this:

ln -s ../init.d/nfs K20nfs

Now...

cd /etc/rc6.d

do and ls

and look for the same thing as in /etc/rc0.d
----------------------
You should see all the nfs startup (Sxx) files in rc3.d and rc5.d and all the nfs shutdown (Kxx) files in rc6.d and rc0.d ....
----------------------
Here is a couple more references:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...tdown-sysv.html
http://arnolds.dhs.org/static/RH-tips/Boot...ess-Tips-3.html
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/mdoc/ref/sysv.html
http://www.linuxnetmag.com/en/issue6/m6inits1.html
sbrower
Perfect. You da man. Thank you SO much for taking your time to help me with that problem. Your directions were exemplary and the links you provided gave me insight as to what, exactly, was going on with my system.

Thank you again.

Best regards,
Scott
hughesjr
This is an older problem (that is already solved)... but I just saw this Article that is great at explaining runlevel and how most linux distros start up, and I thought I would put a reference in this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.